måndag, november 06, 2006

Another OpenSSL woe.

My interesting OpenSSL implementation exercise continues. I am now very close. Very, very close. I'm actually so close that SSLSocket and SSLServer actually works, provided that you use Anonymous Diffie-Hellman (which is suicidal, but that's another story). All of this have been submitted to my openssl-branch. What's missing is the X509-store and PKCS#7. And the X509-store doesn't really look good. Not good at all. It's needed for full SSL support. But the bad thing is this: there isn't any Java libraries that duplicate the functionality. Nada. At least not that I can find. The functionality needed is to read and write X509_store-formatted files and directories, to be able to add certificates and CRL's and to verify against these a certificate, based on various interesting OpenSSL rules.

I wouldn't say that I mislike OpenSSL. I wouldn't say that I hate it either. It's very impressive in many ways. But boy. It seems I have to port a substantial part of it to Java, and I'm not looking forward to it. I need to to do both a port, and add support for KeyStore and CertStore so the Java SSLEngine also can use the information. Will this be an interesting exercise? Oh yes.

So, without further ado, this is the plea of this blog post: If you know of any easier way to do this, please tell me. Now! (where "this" is the X509_STORE-family of functions.)

2 kommentarer:

asyd sa...

Do you know the bouncycastle library ?

Ola Bini sa...

bruno: Oh yes. Without bouncycastle I would be dead, dead, DEAD. I use it extensively to make this possible, but even BC doesn't have everything I need.